The 8th Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders Memorial is constructed almost on the site of their battalion headquarters at the time of the capture of Beaumont-Hamel. The position is close to the Sunken Road and the signal for the attack was the second blowing of a mine under Hawthorn Ridge.
The enormous crater on Hawthorn Ridge is located immediately west of Beaumont-Hamel, between the village and the Memorial Park.
After the Armistice the Newfoundland Government bought an 84 acre piece of ground at Beaumont-Hamel for a Memorial Park. The park was opened on June 7 1925 by the then Earl Haig.
The trenches were preserved just as they were left in 1918, thought today they are grass covered and mostly little more than shallow ditches.
The Allied and German positions at Beaumont-Hamel remained unchanged from the outset of the Battle of the Somme on 1 July 1916 until the village was eventually captured in November 1916 when it fell to the 51st (Highland) Division.
Hawthorn Ridge Redoubt was a German front-line fortification west of the village of Beaumont Hamel on the Somme. It was the scene of a number of costly attacks by British infantry during the Battle of the Somme in 1916.
In preparation for the attack on 1 July 1916 the British had driven long underground tunnels from their lines through the chalk towards the German lines to plant a mine it was thought would be both big enough and powerful enough to destroy completely the German fortress of the Hawthorn Redoubt. It had taken seven months to dig the tunnel.
Beaumont-Hamel is inextricably linked with the fate of the Newfoundland Regiment following their huge losses on 1 July 1916.